Admiral Viscount Nelson at Trafalgar in 1805. The folly, which could serve as a dining room for the nearby Middleton Hall (now the site of the National Botanic Garden of Wales), was designed by Samuel Pepys Cockerell (1753-1827). Middleton Hall was the home of Sir William Paxton (1743/4-1824), a business partner of Cockerell's brother Sir Charles Cockerell (1755-1837).
Paxton's Tower is open to the public. It is owned by the National Trust.
Paxton's Tower from the site of Middleton Hall © David Gill, 2010